First attested in 1388, Suceava is one of the oldest and the most important cities in Romania. Some archaeological digs conducted around The Seat Fortress of Suceava, revealed the material signs of an old Cris settlement, founded 7,000 years ago. In the 20th century, the town extended by taking in the nearby villages of Burdujeni and Ițcani and, during the Communist era, Suceava went through a wide industrialisation process, which lead to a tenfold increase of the population. In 1968, Suceava was declared a Municipality Capital. According to the census held in 2011, the town has a population of 92,121 inhabitants, being the 23rd largest urban centre in Romania.
Suceava (in German: Suczawa, in Hungarian: Szucsáva) is the largest city in Suceava County. It is located in the southern part of a historical region called Bucovina, in the Suceava Plateau, on the bank of a river bearing the same name, 21 km away from its emptying outlet into Siret. Suceava used to be an Austrian-Hungarian border town and the second most important urban centre in Bucovina, after the Capital, Cernăuți.
From an industrial viewpoint, Suceava is the only developed city in the north-eastern part of Romania, after having attracted investments and having developed its infrastructure lately. Thus, in 2010, Suceava was named the city with the highest commercial space density in Romania, counting more than 1.38 square meters of retail commerce space per capita.